Sunday 9 January 2011

Her 70's Show:

I have to admit, as we dipped into trends from different eras, I had great apprehension about the moment the 70's would come around full swing. I don't know why, it's a perfectly good era. But I was actually a lot more for 80's leg warmers, skinny jeans and neon sunglasses (let's not dig those photos up...) 

I suppose the 80's remind me of childhood, being a product of the era myself. The 70's were just too close to be romantic, and far enough away that my impressions of it were made purely by photographs of my mother's youth. Maybe it was how faded the colours looked in those old pictures, a little too murky yellow.  

However, the 70's trend has quickly won me over and I can't wait for the shops to be fully stocked. I already snatched a bargain £15 pair of high-waisted, wide leg jeans from Miss Selfridge (go now, they may still have some!!) And no doubt my shoe collection will be expanding with all sorts of colourful, feathery wedges. I also feel tingles of excitement at the prospect of rocking my candy pink Lacoste aviators once more. 

So here are some of my new favourite trends that I can't wait to embrace in Spring/Summer:


FLARES


I can hear all my girlfriends in Canada who took ages to convince to wear skinny jeans yell out in horror. Sorry girls, flares are coming back, but don't throw away those skinny jeans! They're staying too. Certainly won't help my decision-making problems in the morning; but what do I feel like wearing today??


PLEATS AND BOHO DRESSES


Not only are they gorgeous, but isn't a terrific way hide all those rolls you accumulated over winter? Also loving the muted colours. Not so murky yellow after all!


STRIPES


This is just becoming a classic wardrobe staple. Season after season, we see 70's stripes hit the runways and shops. And don't worry, it won't really make you look wide and fat. That's just an old wive's tale, made up by, well, old wives... and what do they know? 


TAN AND BLUE

Let's jump over to colour for a moment. This is one of my favourite combinations. So retro, yet so current! It's also great if you have a hard time pulling off tan on its own, as many of us do with our lack of, well, tans...


BLOUSES


So pretty, so easy! Just like a college girl in Cancun. If you're not feeling the bib on the left, go for the more subtle white shirt on the right. 


So there's a little taster for ya! All images were taken from ASOS. Which means if you like something, you can actually go BUY IT! OMG!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment